Jewish people first arrived in Middletown during the 1850’s. At that time, and until 1878, there was no formal religious organization within the Jewish community.
From 1878 through 1898, there were various attempts at organization. From 1899-1917, there again existed no formalized Jewish organizations.With 1917 came the founding of the Middletown Hebrew Association. At the same time, property in Circleville, NY was purchased for a cemetery.
The Hebrew Ladies Aid was chartered in 1923, and this later became known as “Sisterhood” in 1955. Our Hebrew School was established in 1924. One year later the first building drive was launched and shortly thereafter, a Synagogue and community center were erected on Linden Avenue in Middletown.